Have a question?
Read our undergraduate FAQs.
Thank you for scheduling an appointment with an academic advisor. Our advising office is located in ECG 334.
The mission of the School of Biological and Health Services Engineering advising team is to develop an advising experience focused on providing high quality service and advocacy while guiding students to be empowered in their education experience through to graduation. Our focus is to increase student retention and graduation rates university-wide by providing quality, accessible advising to all students.
To make your advising discussion effective, we recommend you follow the steps below:
Step 1: Prepare, in advance, for a meeting with your advisor
- Be ready to discuss your situation, plans, and goals with an open mind
- Review Undergraduate FAQs…your answer may be in there
- Review the Advising Syllabus
- Review your major map and DARS report via My ASU
Step 2: During your appointment
- Be honest with yourself and your advisor
- Be prepared to discuss the information you have gathered that is relevant to your goals for the meeting
- Ask questions! This is your chance to find out everything you ever wanted to know about your situation
- Spend time getting to know your advisor and let them know who you are and your educational and career goals
- Take notes and maintain a folder of key advising materials
Step 3: After your appointment
- If you have actions to take after the appointment, follow up with your advisor to confirm completion
- Send any additional questions that might arrive
Core Values of Academic Advising (adopted from NACADA, 2005)
- Advisors are responsible to the individuals they advise
- Advisors are responsible for involving others, when appropriate, in the advising process
- Advisors are responsible to their institutions
- Advisors are responsible for higher education in general
- Advisors are responsible to their educational community
- Advisors are responsible for their professional practices and for themselves personally